Re: rfc: curl_easy_setopt() typechecker

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:03:29 -0500

A concern: it's quite common for open-source SW to come to depend
implicitly on GCC, because the developers work only on Linux or
something similar. They come to rely on GCC bugs or extensions, and when
someone trying to build with say the Sun or Intel or HP or MS compilers
complains, the answer is, well, "use GCC". I'd prefer not to see libcurl
fall into this trap.

It's not stated explicitly in the original message but can we assume
this (nice) feature will not break the ability of libcurl to build with
them?

Even assuming the above is true, I still fear this will be another
creeping step towards GCC captivity. Is there no way this can be done
with C99 preprocessor extensions?

I'm not saying I'm against this feature per se, but I think compiler
affinity is something that should be considered carefully.

MB