Re: gsoc2008 - Organization Application [DRAFT]

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 11:06:59 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Dan Fandrich wrote:

>> 7. What license does your project use?
>>
>> GPL
>
> This part needs to be updated.

Oops...

> How do you see the role of mentors in the curl project vis a vis your
> experience with Rockbox?

That's actually where the biggest differences are between Rockbox and curl. In
Rockbox we have something like 60 *active* committers that have committed code
within the last 12 months (I think there's almost 80 people with access). In
curl we're about 3 or 4 active recently with around 10 with access.

Due to the rather small amount of committers in our project we need to ask for
and attract more willing mentors than just committers to be able to get
students. This of course adds to the unknown factors since with commit access
there's a certain degree of knowledge and having gone through some kind of
information acceptance test.

So, a mentor needs to be familiar with the project, but also with basic open
source values and virtues, such as keeping discussions in public, release
early release often etc and help the student find and stay on the right path.

The overall most important knowledge we gained from last year's involvement
(in my view) is that we need to push students to provide updates (and source)
on a regular basis, such as weekly (I mean no matter in what shape or format
it currently is) and really encourage them to join the mailing list etc. We
failed partly on both those accounts with some of our 4 students.