Re: license question

From: Brian Dessent <brian_at_dessent.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:58:48 -0700

Alan Wolfe wrote:

> That's a bummer to hear that we'll need a lawyer to sort it out...im a

In all likelihood, you really don't. The curl and zlib licenses are
really as permissive as possible, and if those are the only two
libraries that you are combining with your code then you're probably
home free. You can do nearly anything you want with them. If you want
to only release your software in binary form costing a million quatloos
without even a possibility of getting the source, all the while denying
that your software even uses curl, that's fine. About the only thing
you have to do is leave the license header in the source if you decide
to give that source to anyone, and not try to sue Daniel if curl kills a
puppy.

However, when it comes to legal matters, internet mailing lists will
never be able to give you any sort of definitives. That is why everyone
will always tell you that if you need absolute answers you need a
lawyer. We don't know the details of what exactly you are doing, what
jurisdiction you're in, and so on.

Brian