Re: license question

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:33:58 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> We already provide:
>
> #1 - the COPYING license text
> #2 - the FAQ answering licensing questions
> #3 - the LICENSE-MIXING document describing the license situation for all
> possible third party libraries libcurl might use
> #4 - the DISTRO-DILEMMA document describing the GPL issue (this document
> might be a bit outdated atm)
>
> (all of these are also available on the web site)

I feel like saying "ooops, sorry, I hadn't see that" every time you
point out these facts. Yes, it's all there:

1 http://curl.haxx.se/docs/copyright.html
2 http://curl.haxx.se/docs/faq.html#I_have_a_GPL_program_can_I_use
   particularly
http://curl.haxx.se/docs/faq.html#What_are_my_obligations_when_usi
3 http://curl.haxx.se/legal/licmix.html
4 http://curl.haxx.se/legal/distro-dilemma.html

To excuse myself, I can only make out that the copyright notice and
the legal subsection are somewhat buried inside the docs index.

> I'm not against more documents and further details, I just don't think
> adding one to the pile is what will make the pointy haired bosses of the
> world to suddenly start using libcurl.
>
> I think they rather need proper open source education: explain what it
> is, how it works, what you gain and similar things.

Yup, I assume that's the purpose of the legal subsection. However, its
scant front page apparently misses that point.