Re: ECCN and curl/libcurl

From: Lars Nilsson <chamaeleon_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:38:51 -0400

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/3/14, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>
> > I get occasional emails from US-based people and companies who ask me for an
> > ECCN number[*] for curl or libcurl.
>
> > [*] = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_Control_Classification_Number
>
> I have no answer to your questions. But as usual, I can provide more
> questions ;-)
>
> Is lib/curl being developed and CVS hosted in the USA ?
>
> On the contrary, I think that USA folks are actually importing it into the USA.
>
> So why should lib/curl originally be under any ECCN number ?
> Originally it is outside the USA.

According to the link above, the ECCN is used by members of Wassenaar
Agreement, and following the link on wikipedia for WA, you get the
following:

As of December 2006, the 40 participating states are: Argentina,
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Czech
Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary,
Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta,
Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea,
Romania, Russian Federation, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain,
Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom and United
States.

Sweden is listed, as can be seen, so presumably, Swedish manufacturers
of "stuff" use the same codes, and in theory this could mean that
(lib)curl should have it too. Under what circumstances this is
required, I have no clue. Of course, I cannot possibly stress strongly
enough that IANAL..

Lars Nilsson