Re: ECCN and curl/libcurl

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:33:33 -0700

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 08:20:14PM +0100, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> ??? Is there in cryptographic algorithm included in libcurl itself ???
>
> If not, I agree it can be used as a part of some product that can be
> classified as an arm, but (lib)curl is not, by itself.
> In this case, the calling product should worry about getting a number,
> but not libcurl. Else you'll need to get a number for a screwdriver that
> could be used to assemble a gun!

IANAL, but what I heard about the regulations was that a program that has
hooks to plug in a crypto engine was considered the same as if the crypto
was included in the program.

> Also getting a number for (lib)curl could be useful if it can tell it is
> NOT an arm !!!
> ... But don't you think having such a number would make some twisted
> people believe it could be one ...

It doesn't really matter how stupid the law is--it's still the law. It would
be interesting to find out what some of the U.S.-based Linux distributions
have done to meet the current export requirements.

>>> Dan