Re: libcurl 7.15.1 - no Win32 support for SSH ?

From: Brian Dessent <brian_at_dessent.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 04:06:27 -0700

Stephen Collyer wrote:

> I'm trying to build some code against libcurl 7.15.1 in a
> Windows environment, and this is failing due to the lack of
> SSH defines such as CURLOPT_SSH_PRIVATE_KEYFILE.
>
> I'm now confused; do I have a version that was built without
> SSH support, or was there no Win32 support for SSH in 7.15.1 ?
>
> Is there a more recent version that I should be using ?

Well first of all support for SSH was only added in 7.16.1. So
regardless of platform, the version you're using is too old. The
current version is 7.18.0.

But that aside, ssh support depends on how the library was configured
and what external support libraries are present. If you have libssh2
installed properly when you build libcurl and you enable the option to
use it, it will be available, otherwise it won't. Many libcurl options
work this way, e.g. you can build libcurl with or without SSL support,
with or without LDAP support, with or without Kerberos, with or without
IDN support, and so on. The thing that matters is whether you had those
dependent libs present when you configured and built libcurl, not the
version number (other than it must be new enough to contain the feature,
obviously.) The fact that it's Windows doesn't play into this at all,
except for the fact that most Windows people expect to find prebuilt
binaries so they are at the mercy of whoever built them. But this is
all open source, there's nothing stopping you from building it yourself
if you can't find what you want.

Brian