[ 1371118 ] IPv6 RFC 2732 addrs are not fully supported - Using Curl for HTTP transfer over IPv6 fe80 addresses

From: Rizzo, Christopher <Christopher.Rizzo_at_xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:15:11 -0400

I am trying to use libCURL to do HTTP file transfer over IPv6 between
two hosts using Link Local addresses (fe80*).

This does not appear to be possible without somehow telling CURL the
interface to use for the source address. Ultimately, if the
sin6_scope_id field of the socket in the client is not setup with the
index of the interface to communicate over, the connection (bind) will
fail.

With other protocols the format for getting that scope id field filled
in has been either

[fe80::200:aaff:fe71:c7%eth0]
   or
[fe80::200:aaff:fe71:c7%2] (assumes 2 is the ifindex of the eth0
interface).

However, per the "Closed" bug I found in the CURL database (see Subject
line) it seems there is no way currently to use CURL to talk HTTP over
IPv6 Link Local addresses. Is there some way to get around this?

If there is no way around this, then I guess this email is just to
confirm what the bug report currently says - that if I want the patch
bad enough I'll have to write it myself?

BTW - Apologies to Daniel for the direct email without reading the email
list first.

Thanks,
Chris

Christopher Rizzo