Re: libCurl 7.16.3: Are there any problems known for timeouts set with CURLOPT_TIMEOUT ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 09:01:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Stefan Krause wrote:

> 1) Is the configured easy handle timeout of 2 minutes also relevant for the
> OpenSSL library, or does OpenSSL has its own timeouts for the handshake
> phase, which are not under control of libCurl?

The OpenSSL handshake phase is supposed to be non-blocking since about 7.15.4
and thus it should be subject to the same timeouts as everything else.

> 2) I looked for the "SSL connection timeout" string and found it in the file
> ssluse.c. Do you have a clue what is going wrong at the respective places ?

I did recently go over and cleaned up the timeout handling in general in
libcurl so I'm not at all sure that the bug is still present, or if it is the
code you have in your version is at least not the same as any recent libcurl
has.

> I'll try to debug the issue on QNX or Win32. Can you give me your thoughts
> of what might goes wrong here and were to look best in order to track the
> problem down ?

I would suggest that you attach a debugger or strace-like tool to the process
after about 122 seconds and check what it is doing at that moment instead of
returning due to timeout.

> Used OS is QNX 6.3.2 and libcurl 7.16.3 is used. OpenSSL is 0.9.8e (I am not
> quite sure about the minor number at the moment)

There's of course the risk that you're seeing a bug already fixed in more
recent versions of libcurl or even OpenSSL.