RE: check internet connection with curl

From: Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 01:30:15 -0700

Meir Yanovich wrote:

> well all i like to do is simple ping/echo test to see if there is
> internet connection
> something like "ping www.google.com" check if im getting response and
> keep doing it
> every N seconds .
> the problem with this that i dont what to flode google with pings
> and also i dont know if google decide to change there domain name to
> something else
> then my application will not work.
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
wrote:

> > If you would clarify what you are trying to accomplish (my guess is
> > avoiding a delay when curl_easy_perform fails to connect), we could
> > offer better suggestions.
> >
> > -Gary

If you would study how internet protocols work, then you would
understand how difficult your request is. (If it were simple, wouldn't
everyone be using it?) ICMP ping is very unreliable, since it is readily
dropped by many routers and servers, proving nothing.

Can you please explain why do you need to do this?

-Gary