Re: AIX autobuild: libcares not linked

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:14:06 +0200

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/5/14, Tor Arntsen wrote:
>
> > I (re-)started an AIX autobild with ares enabled, which coredumps:
> > http://curl.haxx.se/auto/log.cgi?id=20080514021735-14764
[...]
> Due to the low level libcurl memory debugging stuff, libcurl built
> with c-ares enabled and debug enabled might not work properly unless
> --disable-shared is also used.
>
> Just to take the above out of the equation could you try it with the
> following options ?
>
> "--without-ssl --enable-debug --disable-ipv6 --enable-ares --disable-shared"

Done. That works. The main difference from the shared build is that
libcares is linked while building the curl binary itself:

xlc -g -qthreaded -qnoansialias -qhalt=e -g -o curl main.o hugehelp.o
urlglob.o writeout.o writeenv.o getpass.o homedir.o curlutil.o
strtoofft.o strdup.o -L/home/tor/git/curl/ares ../lib/.libs/libcurl.a
/home/tor/git/curl/ares/.libs/libcares.a -L/opt/freeware/lib -lldap
-L/opt/freeware/src/packages/BUILD/openldap-2.0.21/libraries -llber
-lssl -lcrypto -ls -lz -Wl,-blibpath:/opt/freeware/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/tor/git/curl/src'

As it seems to link OK on other platforms (where at list on Linux it
links libcares into the (dynamic) libcurl library), isn't this all due
to some autoconf/automake horrors?

-Tor