Re: Helping apps use 64bit with libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 16:23:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> Suggestion: let the *_LARGE constants have different values at compile time,
> determined by the header file, according to the size of curl_off_t.
>
> Programs compiled with one size, and linked to a library compiled with a
> different size, will give sensible error results due to the mismatched
> constants, instead of random failues or even spurious successes.

I like this idea, but it won't be perfect unless we also make the header file
contain information about how the lib was built. I mean, even on modern
systems where we normally build libcurl with 64bit sizes people can in fact
enforce 32bit builds and I think it would be a bit lacking to just assume
64bit ability because it should be enabled not because it actually was
enabled.