RE: 64/32/16bit curl_off_t for _WIN32_WCE and ILEC400

From: Patrick Monnerat <Patrick.Monnerat_at_datasphere.ch>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 11:25:26 +0200

Yang Tse wrote:

> The following site http://www.deloli.net/download.php anounces what
seems to be gcc 4.0.1 for OS/400 V5R3. If it actually is an OS/400
native gcc port, if it really works, or what kind of POSIX suppor it
provides are simply things which I have no way to verify.

There is no way to produce a relocatable module for OS400 unless you use
an IBM-provided compiler. IBM provides one for RPG, C, C++ and cobol,
(perhaps others I do not know) but NO assembler. There is a "system
call" (no command line interface) that is able to compile MI (what is
nearest to assembler), but this produces a non-linkable program that is
not able to call procedures... not suitable for a C implementation.

What is called "OS400" implementation of products mentioned on the
linked page are in fact, PASE implementations.

PASE is some kind of AIX emulation. Thus it is ASCII based, has no
direct access to the DB400 database and PASE module libraries are not
linkable with native OS400 modules. The first paragraph of
packages/OS400/README.OS400 warns about this incompatibility.

Thanks for suggesting things that could have been great if they were
possible ;-)

Patrick