Portability

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 23:05:01 +0200 (CEST)

Hey

In an effort to document with what we're trying to make libcurl to function
with and against, the lowest denominators. I'm about to add the following
snippet to the docs/INTERNALS document and I'm posting it here first for
comments/review, and possibly added details. You'll see that I miss version
info on a few third party libs...

---- start
Portability
===========

  We write curl and libcurl to compile with C89 compilers. On 32bit and up
  machines. Most of libcurl assumes more or less POSIX compliance but that's
  not a requirement.

  We write libcurl to build and work with lots of third party tools, and we
  want it to remain functional and buildable with these and later versions (i.e
  older may work but is not what we work hard to maintain):

  OpenSSL 0.9.6
  GnuTLS 1.2
  zlib 1.1.4
  libssh2 0.16
  c-ares 1.5.0
  libidn 0.4.1
  *yassl 1.4.0 (http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2008-02/0093.html)
  openldap ?
  Heimdal ?
  qsossl ?
  NSS ?

  * = only partly functional, but that's due to bugs in the third party lib,
      not because of libcurl code

---- end