Re: Undefined curl symbols while loading the library

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 12:08:01 +0200

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> It is a debian thing (and a very recent debian change too): they started to
> make their builds with a custom LDFLAGS settup.
>
> Possibly the curl way to have pkg-config and curl-config output LDFLAGS when
> you ask for --libs is not very wise though, and the Debian fix for the issue
> you mention seem to be to cut out LDFLAGS from the output of those two...
>
> I'm not yet 100% convinced that at least the curl-config change isn't going
> to hurt someone.
>
> ... and besides (nudge nudge), we haven't seen the Debian guys submit any
> patches for this our way...

Hm.. I see a problem that I can't immediately see a way out of:
Certainly just linking an application with -lcurl will work OK on
Debian, as libcurl itself is linked with all those necessary
libraries. But it won't work for our application, we create a
dynamically loadable module (an .so) for a plugin-application. This
module uses libcurl. When creating it with just the output from
curl-config --libs it will fail, because for this case what works for
applications won't work: We get missing symbols (from ssl symbols
etc.). So right now I'm using --static-libs, but that's not optimal
either because it uses libcurl.a, which is not something we need or
want.
pkg-config --libs libcurl is no help either. So right now there
doesn't seem to be a simple way out of this, save for manually putting
together the library list.. not optimal.

If the Debian maintainer is reading this and could follow up it would be great..

-Tor