Re: sftp performance issue

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:57:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, cesare pietra wrote:

> Compiling curl-7.18.2-1.src.rpm on a 2 processor Linux redhat (x86_64
> GNU/Linux) box, we added support for libssh2, by configuring -with-libssh2.
>
> Upon successful installation, we tried running a sample code snippet I'm
> catting herebye, in order to test the basic sftp get functionality.

[...]

> real 38m30.764s
> user 0m21.288s
> sys 0m7.542s

And what if you try one of the sample libssh2 applications? Do they run any
faster?

The bad performance is a known problem in libssh2, the question is just how
bad performance it "should" be.

> Isn't it weird?

That massive difference is weird indeed. Are you using the latest libssh2?

> It turns out there might be some configuration problem in the libcurl or in
> the libssh2.

What makes you draw that conclusion? In my view this is much more likely to be
a libssh2 bug or at least flaw.