Locking files, A fun but useless game

From: Garabled Sdjhsjd <garbaledup541_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

I wanted to know if there was a way to lock a file.

What happen is my friend challenge me on doing a quick app/hack to grab 'important' files that he specifies. But the catch is, he is allowed to move the files to dif directories while my app is trying to grab it.

The game is not really about finding the file since i can repeatly scan the files, check for filesize, etc. The game is grabbing the files w/o sucking up sucking up bandwidth.

i can see all the files in the directory. Every dir has a major file to scan. It tells me what the important files are and which are useless + tons of other data to slow me down. Usually there are 25 or less files per directory. When i tell him i started the scan he will wait a few seconds, then move 3 file, wait another few seconds and move another few. a few of the important files are moved/renamed so i miss them. I need to grab them all w/o a rescan. I figure i can make his server stall the move or file rename by a request to DL of the file but not actually read it. Or i could do the transfer very slowly (2k per second? could i go slower?). I think i would need to lock the files for 80 seconds, which is resonable? Can i prevent 24 files from being renamed/moved? How should i lock them? even if i cant do them all a few would be good since i get a better hit ratio

http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.