Re: what is an "effective url"?

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:36:18 -0500

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 9:43 AM, Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
wrote:

> According to the libcurl API docs we use curl_easy_setopt() to assign a
> URL, but when using curl_easy_getinfo() we use CURLINFO_EFFECTIVE_URL to
> retrieve an _effective_ URL. Neither the libcurl docs nor Google point to a
> definition of the term "effective URL" so I'm wondering: is this just a turn
> of phrase in the libcurl docs or is the original URL transformed in some way
> to become an effective URL?

Sometime you'll fetch a page and get back a Location header with a new url.
If you tell curl to follow those, it will happily keep on fetching pages
until it gets one that doesn't return a Location header. The "effective
url" is the url of that final page.

Ralph Mitchell