Re: Patch for 301/302 redirect after post

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 12:59:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Martin Drasar wrote:

>> You can easily detect 301/302 codes yourself when having it activated and
>> then make them cause errors get returned.
>
> Can I? When CURLOPT_FOLLOWLOCATION is turned on? Please tell me how, because
> that would render half of my patch unneeded.

Sure, just use the HEADERFUNCTION and parse the headers you get passed to it.
Identifying the first status line in a response should be easy.

> I understand that you don't want to fill the code with overly specific
> features and having bool CURLOPT_POST302 is better than nothing for sure...

I would even prefer to proceed like this:

  1 - CURLOPT_POST301 gets renamed to CURLOPT_POSTREDIR (while of course still
      supporting the old name for a number of years ahead) - of course if
      someone has a better idea for a name I'm open for it.

  2 - CURLOPT_POSTREDIR then takes the original options 0 to act as default and
      1 to change the 301 behavior. Then we add 2 to just change the 302
      behavior and 3 to change both 301 and 302.

  3 - Then we create a few nice defines for these magic values so that we don't
      have to use magic constant numbers in app source code.

What do you say?