RE: Support Of cURL on an embedded device

From: Gary Maxwell <gmaxwell_at_casabi.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 09:40:11 -0700

Daniel Stenberg intoned:

> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Nagaraj Math (RBEI/ECE2) wrote:
>
> > Do you mean if we have a TCP/IP statck implemented then we could use
> cURL
> > library?
>
> Sure, Although you of course will need a certain degree of poking on
> things to
> get that working. libcurl is not just TCP you know. There are also
things
> like
> name resolving, time functions and more.

Also, just saying there is a TCP/IP stack implemented doesn't mean it is
a good implementation. Our experience with lwIP was interesting: several
major bugs in the stack were uncovered when we started using libcurl
against it. And these were bugs you would not have expected from a
fairly mature stack, and we weren't even stressing the stack (sequential
HTTP requests with a single easy handle).

I would talk to the support engineers for your GPRS modem to find out
what types of network applications have been deployed on that stack,
before you march forward with confidence.

-Gary