Re: Autobuild Red Hat 7.2 Linux 2.4 i686 lcc 4.2 glibc 2.2.5

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 15:29:40 +0200

2008/8/10, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> > Autobuild Red Hat 7.2 Linux 2.4 i686 lcc 4.2 glibc 2.2.5
> >
> > Of all the non-NetWare autobuilds this is the only one which is not
> > detecting a 64-bit data type for curl_off_t. It will use a 32-bit
> > long.
> >
> > Should this be kept as is, or should __quad_t, or other data type,
> > also be tested as a valid 64-bit data type for curl_off_t ?
> >
> > If the answer is yes, which would be the appropriate formatting string
> > directive for curl_off_t ?
>
> As I recall, tcc was lacking a feature used in the glibc headers that
> caused problems in configure when large file supported was enabled. I got
> around that problem by deliberately not enabling large file support :^)
> It sounds like the new configure macros are doing everything possible to
> enable it now.

Dan, with the 64-bit curl_off_T patch in place, curl_off_t does not
depend on LFS settings. So my questions still apply. Read further.

Large file support is now 'on' by default if the configure script
detects in macro AC_SYS_LARGEFILE that the 'off_t' data type is
capable of holding a 63-bit value.

Remember that now curl_off_T has nothing to do with off_t, as a matter
of fat curl_off_t should have been renamed to curl_big_t, but this is
not possible in order to keep backwards source code compatibility for
apps using libcurl.

Now, large file support can be disabled if you configure using option
'--disable-largefile'.

> You could blame the problem on my misconfigured system
> (which it is), but at least it was able to compile before without the
> large file support. I wonder if it's worthwhile (or even possible)
> adding a configure flag to disable large file support use.

Now, large file support can be disabled if you configure using option
'--disable-largefile'. This is a feature provided by AC_SYS_LARGEFILE.

--
-=[Yang]=-