RE: known memory leak in simple easy calls in version 17?

From: Max L. Eidswick <max_at_eidswick.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:34:52 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se [mailto:curl-library-bounces_at_cool.haxx.se] On Behalf Of Dan Fandrich
Sent: Friday, August 22, 2008 7:38 PM
To: curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se
Subject: Re: known memory leak in simple easy calls in version 17?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 06:46:42PM -0600, Max L. Eidswick wrote:
> ---------- ok here is the updated info as of Aug 22 2008
>
> The memory leak is in libcurl (very sure)
> It takes a lot of iterations to discover it
> It happens in secondary Win32 threads (don't forget to close the thread handle)
> It is also in 7.18.2, no change that I can see
> It is not a consistent number of bytes per iteration
>
> That's about all.

Since it's a threaded app, have you followed all the rules about
multithreaded use of libcurl? Including the rule about not calling
curl_global_init from within a thread? Have you ruled out a memory leak
happening from within an application callback?

>>> Dan

Yes, I tried it both ways in our testing. It is not the callback -- we disabled the only one in use to eliminate the possibility.
If I can get caught up today, I will run one more set of tests.

Using /MT or /MTd, leak occurs in both debug and release versions.

Max