recompiling curl to NOT use system openssl

From: Peter Wilkes <pwilkes_at_gameservers.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 12:12:12 -0400

hello,

im trying to build a custom configuration version of openssl and curl

i am using openssl-0.9.8g and curl 7.18.2

my command line to compile openssl and curl is
cd openssl-0.9.8g
./config --prefix=$PWD/../builds/
make
make install
cd ..
cd curl-7.18.2
set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PWD/../builds/
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH
./configure --prefix=$PWD/../builds/ --exec-prefix=$PWD/../builds --
with-iconv=$PWD/../builds/include/ --without-libssh2 --disable-ldap --
disable--ldaps --without-ldap --disable-libidn --without-libidn
make
make install

however no matter what options i change i can not get curl to link
against the version i specified. it either can never find the headers
or can never find openssl where i tell it they are, and it defaults
down to the system headers which i dont want to use.

the output of the curl configure is...
checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... yes
checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... yes
checking openssl/x509.h usability... no
checking openssl/x509.h presence... no
checking for openssl/x509.h... no
checking openssl/rsa.h usability... no
checking openssl/rsa.h presence... no
checking for openssl/rsa.h... no
checking openssl/crypto.h usability... no
checking openssl/crypto.h presence... no
checking for openssl/crypto.h... no
checking openssl/pem.h usability... no
checking openssl/pem.h presence... no
checking for openssl/pem.h... no
checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking openssl/err.h usability... no
checking openssl/err.h presence... no
checking for openssl/err.h... no
checking x509.h usability... no
checking x509.h presence... no
checking for x509.h... no
checking rsa.h usability... no
checking rsa.h presence... no
checking for rsa.h... no
checking crypto.h usability... no
checking crypto.h presence... no
checking for crypto.h... no
checking pem.h usability... no
checking pem.h presence... no
checking for pem.h... no
checking ssl.h usability... no
checking ssl.h presence... no
checking for ssl.h... no
checking err.h usability... yes
checking err.h presence... yes
checking for err.h... yes
checking for inflateEnd in -lz... yes
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
configure: found both libz and libz.h header
configure: WARNING: SSL disabled, you will not be able to use HTTPS,
FTPS, NTLM and more.

obviously it is finding my version of the libs (because i moved the
system ones so it couldnt find it) but will absolutely not find my
version of the headers(again i moved the system ones so it couldnt
find it) and disables SSL altogether which i absolutely need.

can anyone please give me some advice on how to solve this problem?

thank you

Pete