Re: [what do you think?] libcurl and security

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 09:55:36 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008, Dan Fandrich wrote:

> I have some opinions on this from the perspective of having hacked the
> libcurl code somewhat. Many of the points I'm about to make aren't specific
> to security, but are general problems that can result in introduced bugs,
> many of which could have security implications. curl deals with untrusted
> input from random remote servers so there are many classes of bugs that can
> be exploited remotely (even if such bugs only result in a crash, that's
> still a denial of service problem that falls under the security heading).

Thanks for your thoughts and perspective on these issues. I think I've got my
nose buried a bit too deep into the code at times to realize these things
myself, but of course all the points you make are reasonable and agreeable!

I wish the coverity[*] scan guys would do another scan on the libcurl source
code. The one they did on 7.16.1 resulted in almost 30 potential flaws - and
while we have all of them fixed since I'm sure there are more (new?) to
find...

[*]= http://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2008/05/20/coveritys-open-source-bug-report/