Re: cannot connect to server in a subthread

From: Mohun Biswas <m_biswas_at_mailinator.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:58:50 -0400

Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> I can reasonably imagine that a non-threaded program compiled with
> -D_REENTRANT (or using a library compiled as such) runs properly, but is
> only a bit slower due to additional overhead.
>
> This is just experimentation and reasoning, not a predicate !

Adding a data point: the Solaris documentation (somewhere, don't
remember now) implies that _REENTRANT should only be defined if needed.
However, in my personal Solaris development experience it has never hurt
to just leave it on. I've never chased down why reentrancy would not be
unalloyed goodness and can see no intuitive reason it shouldn't be. It
may just be bad documentation.

MB