Re: Posting to Yahoo email

From: Ralph Mitchell <ralphmitchell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:09:50 -0500

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 7:21 AM, Joe N. <jnardone_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to curl and facing the same problem as mentioned at
>>
>> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2006-09/0042.html
>>
>> In the solution proposed, it is mentioned : "If the
>> page does something magic with javascript, or even with a META Refresh
>>

>> tag, you need to simulate that in your own code."
>>
>> Could not understand this, would need more feeding.
>>

> It means that if Yahoo does more than a simple HTTP POST or similar to send
> their data, then you will have to re-engineer all of that client-side code
> in your application. This isn't a curl problem any more, it's an
> application-protocol question at that point.
> joe

"Meta refresh" tags are used to make a browser reload a web page after some
number of seconds. Sometimes the refresh is set for zero seconds, sometimes
the refresh causes a different page to load. There's info on META Refresh
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_refresh

"magic in javascript" means that some web pages use javascript to create or
alter the next url to load, and then do something like "top.location=newurl"
to jump to the new url.

For example, I've just been looking at a page that uses a couple of
javascript functions to generate a 60+ character random string that gets
added to the end of the new url. Fortunately I was able to edit the page in
my script and run it through a javascript interpreter to get the new url to
handa to curl.

Whether you use a script or a compiled language, you may have to deal with
this kind of thing in order to progress from one page to another.

Ralph Mitchell