Re: libcurl version number

From: Daniel Johnson <daniel.johnson31_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 19:42:28 -0400

On Nov 1, 2008, at 7:05 PM, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Nov 2008, Dan Fandrich wrote:
>
>> Just a friendly reminder to bump the "age" field of the libcurl.so
>> version number before the release. That seems to be forgotten more
>> times than not...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Given that we're already in the feature freeze and even towards the
> end of it, I've now bumped the number.
>
> I also offers some time for everyone to verify that it looks right.
> I didn't bump the "age" field but the "revision" one... If I bump
> the age field (without bumping "current"), libtool creates an so.3
> version!

This should be right since I don't think any new interfaces were
added. The rules are:

If current version is C:R:A
and there are any source changes, then use C:R+1:A
but if interfaces were added use C+1:0:A+1
unless interfaces were removed, then use C+1:0:0

That should do the right thing on all platforms.

Daniel