Re: documenting internals (was Re: SSL and basic authentication.)

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:06:23 -0800

On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 11:54:30PM +0100, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> I wouldn't mind that as it is a fairly un-intrusive format, but I must
> confess that I have yet to see some nice and handy output from doxygen. In
> my view, its output still leaves out a lot - actually to the extent that I
> think manually writing a document/description of how things are tied
> together often is more readable and human parseable.
>
> But maybe I've just had bad experiences...

I've used it only on C++ projects and there it can be very useful. But
C++ gives Doxygen much more context for each function--which are public and
expected to be used by callers, which data members are relevant, and which
functions can be grouped together in a logical way. That's all missing in C
code, so Doxygen won't do more than grouping functions by file by default.
It does provide special operators to allow manually grouping C elements
which would definitely improve the readability of the resulting document
in the case of curl.

>>> Dan