gzip negotiation on PUT transfers

From: <garym_at_xmlteam.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:20:35 -0500

This is a little OT, although I do need to do this with libcurl :) but
I'm a rank novice at this and having some trouble finding the right
chapter in the docs (so specific rtfm directives are very welcome)

what I need to do is the reverse of the Apache mod-deflate; I would
like to make a PUT request to a remote server, and if that server
supports gzip compressed streams, I want to submit the body in gzip
format, otherwise I should submit the body as plain text/xml

can this be done? is it just a header? Can PUT do this sort of
optionally-compressed content negotiation?

--
	gary lawrence murphy <garym_at_xmlteam.com> ::  www.xmlteam.com
	:: sports data integration through open standard sportsml ::