Re: infelicities

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 22:33:03 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008, Jim Meyering wrote:

> I reviewed parts of curl sources and spotted some infelicities:

[...]

> I do see that the suck function is conditionally compiled,
> and is used only for testing, but still.

Not only is it conditonally compiled, it is a main() function and thus it
isn't ever part of the lib. We should actually just remove that code...

> I stopped there, after having examined only about 12% of the malloc uses.

Thanks a lot for your hard work and detailed report! We'll use it to correct
the cases you've identified (at least).

In general we try to do good checks and we run our "torture" tests on all test
cases from time to time to verify this. But quite clearly we don't have test
cases and build combinations enough to exercise even close to all reallocs and
mallocs.

> I hope someone can find the time to complete the job.

Well, finding problems and adressing them is a non-stop job that's been going
on for 10+ years now and it'll continue eternally as long as the project
lives. We do fix bugs quite a lot and we make an effort in making this a
quality library.