Re: Bug: curl 7.18.2/7.19.2 looses timeouts

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 15:39:15 +0100

2008/11/15 koettermarkus_at_gmx.de wrote:

> I'm having issues with curl 7.18.2 on ubuntu x86_64 smp
> [...]
> (I tried 7.19.2 build from source as well, same problem)
> [...]
> As I've been unable to figure out whats going wrong I'm not sending in a
> patch to fix the problem.

Hi Markus,

Due to yours and some other reports previously done related with
timing issues I would like to rule out something which has been
silently bouncing in my head. But I have no way of personally testing
this so I need your help to do some small test.

Which SMP linux kernel is the one on which this problem manifests?

Do you happen to know if there is some issue with the use of the
clock_gettime() function with the monotonic time source
CLOCK_MONOTONIC on this SMP kernel?

When you build 7.19.2 from source what is the output from the
configure script relative to the following three lines?

checking for monotonic clock_gettime...
checking for clock_gettime in libraries...
checking if monotonic clock_gettime works...

In case the configure script detects that you have a monotonic
clock_gettime and it works, which I'm quite confident is your case,
can you do the following test ?

Edit the configure script distributed with 7.19.2
http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.19.2.tar.gz and change line number
28619 from ac_cv_func_clock_gettime="yes" to
ac_cv_func_clock_gettime="no" save it and do a clean build.

The above will force libcurl to use gettimeofday() instead of
clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, ...). Now verify if the problem still
persists or if it disappears with the library built above, and report
back the results.

--
-=[Yang]=-