Re: Running curl on GPRS.

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 11:10:30 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008, Shakti Ashirvad wrote:

> We have developed one application which uses Glibcurl to fetch data from a
> server. The data volumes are of 700K to 1M in size. The application never
> failed for ethernet, however once we tried running on GPRS, it started
> showing peculiar behavior.

libcurl is completely agnostic about the underlying transport layer being
ethernet, gprs or carrier pigeons!

> - After downloading ~300K it got stuck and the writeDataCallbackFunction
> stopped getting called.

What about the progress callback?

> We suspect that GPRS was not dropped however connection was very slow and
> several packets might have been dropped.

Well, if there's no data coming to libcurl it will of course not called the
write callback!

> How do we recover, if network stops sending data.

That's up to you! libcurl does the transfers for you. You the logic around the
actual transfers!

> We tried the CURLOPT_TIMEOUT option, but since the data is large for a slow
> connection,

Then perhaps CURLOPT_LOW_SPEED_LIMIT and friends are more suitable? Or do your
own magic in the progress callback!