Re: error (6) : name lookup timed out

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 14:12:08 -0800

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 08:44:41PM +0000, Phil Blundell wrote:
> As to "why should the application have to handle it", I guess one answer
> is that the application doesn't strictly need to handle it at all: as
> you point out, the application can just do nothing and libcurl will
> indeed eventually sort things out on its own.

That's not currently the case for changes to DNS, though. glibc doesn't
check for changes to /etc/resolv.conf on its own (or didn't when I checked
last), so needs to be prodded to do so. It could be done in libcurl (even
if it really belongs in glibc) but because it involves potentially lengthening
timeouts, it should probably be up to the app to decide when to try.

I suppose a setopt option could be added to cause libcurl to automatically
call res_init() after a failed DNS lookup and try the lookup again for those
apps that don't mind a longer potential timeout in exchange for making the
resolve work at all.

>>> Dan