Re: Memory leak in libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:12:19 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, Huzaifa Al Nahas wrote:

Please don't top-post, it makes this thread really hard to follow.

> According to the output from Valgrind, it is in ENGINE_new (in
> /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.0.9.8). Is there any cleaning of libcrypto
> initializations that is done in the curl cleanup functions?

lib/ssluse.c:Curl_ossl_cleanup() does a range of (global) cleanups.

> It looks that as a libcurl developer you will have the same issue if you try
> to fix it.

The same issue as what?

> It appears that you won't be able to access this ENGINE pointer and thus the
> ENGINE_free won't fit as a solution. Instead we would need a generic
> libcrypto or openssh cleanup function that frees this ENGINE.

I don't follow you. Are you suggesting there's a generic cleanup function in
OpenSSL we're not using that is cause of this leak?

The docs for OpenSSL is lacking (to put it friendly). I simply have no idea if
there's any such missing function or not.