Re: CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION doesn't work?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:38:13 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009, A. Craig West wrote:

> Here is a patch that sets the HTTP version for the CONNECT string with a
> proxy, based on the same heuristics as used elsewhere in the code.

First, this patch will break all test cases that test CONNECT.

Then, I'm slightly concerned about what this change may introduce. You're
mentioning a case where the 1.0-stuff wasn't liked by a proxy, but curl has
done it this way for some *10* years without it ever having caused problems
before (to my knowledge). This gives me a fear that swapping over to
defaulting to 1.1 for CONNECT, or even defaulting the CONNECT request to use
the same HTTP version as the host request use, may in fact be somewhat of a
big change that we should think twice before we introduce.

Perhaps we should allow the CONNECT request to use a separate HTTP version set
by a separate option? It would allow us to continue defaulting that to 1.0
while still allowing it to be changed to 1.1 by clients that want that?

Or am I just too cautious here?