Re: CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION doesn't work?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 20:31:38 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, A. Craig West wrote:

> Firefox 3 sends HTTP/1.1, I will check what IE does at the office. As to
> standards, HTTP 1.0 did not contain any reference to tunneling with CONNECT,
> it appears to have been introduced originally in an RFC introduced by
> Netscape (which for some reason did not have an RFC number) in 1995. It was
> then included in the HTTP 1.1 official specification (RFC 2616). This is my
> main argument about standards compliance, as HTTP 1.1 is the only one that
> actually includes CONNECT.

FYI: The main and only reference on how to do CONNECT was the
draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt document[*] for a long time (and
RFC2616 is also referring to that), and that uses 1.0 explictly and that's the
reason why 1.0 has been used for CONNECT in (lib)curl.

I'm in favour of switching to the discussed approach that lets the user select
version and I'm also for defaulting it to be 1.1 for CONNECT.

[*] = http://curl.haxx.se/rfc/draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling-01.txt