Re: Source code copyright year

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:57:46 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009, Patrick Monnerat wrote:

> I just browsed some source files and noticed that most "Copyright (C) 1998 -
> XXXX, Daniel Stenberg, <daniel_at_haxx.se>, et al." were not up-to date.
>
> A lot of files have the last copyright year set to the last modification
> date year. Several others even have been updated after their last mentioned
> copyright year.

The concept I work with is that when a file gets changed, it should also get
the (end) copyright year set to the current year (the theory would also say
that the change would have some kind of susbtance and not only whitespace
changes etc but I've decided it makes it too complicated for me and I equal
all and any changes as a reason to bump the year). Thus, files that haven't
been modified in 2009 yet still have their previous edit-year left in the
copyright header.

For fellow emacs users, I can only say good things about this little trick:

(add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'copyright-update)

(It automatically searches for copyright-lines and offers to fix the year when
a buffer is saved.)