Re: trouble with libcurl on Windows

From: A. Craig West <acraigwest_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:46:45 -0500

2009/1/26 Andrei Jakab <andrei.jakab_at_tut.fi>:
> I see that most people on this mailing list are very fond of makefiles :)
> However, in my opinion, they are the reason why you're having so many issues
> with Visual Studio developers. We're just so used to opening and compiling
> projects from the IDE that a good majority of us don't take the time to
> learn how to use makefiles. If you want to increase the number of windows/VS
> developers using curl and maybe even get some of them to help out with the
> project, you want to make it as easy as possible for them to get started
> with the code.

Once Visual Studio switched to .vcproj files instead of .dsp, it
became a LOT simpler to generate them. One rule I have had, though, is
never let Visual Studio save changes to a project file directly, as it
tends to embed a lot of information that is not necessary to the
build, and can cause issues later. I usually let it work on a copy,
then see what it changed and copy the changes over to the 'real'
vcproj file myself. It tends to save a lot of headaches that way...
Personally I still prefer nmake files, they are more predictable...
-Craig