Re: LIbcurl 7.19.3. header incorrectly excludes Windows 2000 as a VS2008 target

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 04:46:59 +0100

2009/2/19, Pierre Joye wrote:

> VS2008 does support 2000 (as well as the platform SDK 6.1).

All this thread is actually about the fact that Microsoft does _not_
officially support Windows 2000 as a build target when using _any_
Windows SDK later than the one named "Windows Server 2003 R2 PSDK"
which happens to be version 5.2 of the SDK.

In other words, version 6.0 of the SDK, named "Windows Server 2008 &
.NET 3.5 SDK" and version 6.1 named "Windows Vista Update & .NET 3.0
SDK" do not support Windows 2000 as a build target officially.

As others, and you Pierre, have stated it seems that things still work
and that (fully?) functional apps can still be built with these 6.X
SDk's targeting Windows 2000. But this is a grey area, and Microsoft
makes no official statement that Windows 2000 is a valid build target
for these.

This page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/dd146047.aspx
has a nice table which shows Microsoft's official stance about SDK
versions, compatibility with Visual Studio versions and supported
build targets.

Back to our plot...

I personally don't mind lowering down to Windows 2000 the minimum
target that config-win32.h requires in order to build with VS2008. If
a big problem further arises, that can be tracked back to this, it can
always be raised again up to Windows XP.

If the above is done, we have to consider something else...

VS2008 introduced a change relative to prior Visual Studio versions
relative to the 'default' Windows build target when no build target
was specified. VS2008 default build target is Windows Vista, while
with previous VS versions the default build target always was the
minimum Windows supported build target.

So... for curl/libcurl with VS2008 we have to define our minimum
default Windows target that we want to build in config-win32.h if not
already specified. Should we keep this the 'supported' WinXP or the
'unsupported but working W2K'?

--
-=[Yang]=-