Re: What clear up required after previous errors ?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 22:05:49 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Lyndon Hill wrote:

> I am using the multi interface to get files via HTTP. In my app you can set
> the proxy. I noticed the following problem:
>
> 1. I forget to set the proxy
> 2. curl says "name lookup timed out, couldn't resolve host ..."
> 3. I set the proxy
> 4. curl cannot resolve the host "proxy..."
>
> If I remember to set the proxy then the code works fine.

Can you produce an example source code that repeats this problem? I assume
you've tried this with 7.19.3? (you said "latest" but I'd like to get it
confirmed what specific version it was you used)

> I'm beginning to think that every time the multi stack is empty I should
> completely throw it away with a multi_cleanup and start a new one next time
> with a multi_init. Is that right ?

Well, there's no such requirements enforced by libcurl and I've never seen
this problem before. Not in my own tests and not in any reports from others.

What resolver are you using? What platform do you run this on?

> It just seems a bit weird that a new easy handle with proxy specified
> doesn't try to use it.

Yes, as the code quite clearly shows that they do...