Re: new makefile for Visual C++

From: Patrik Thunström <patrik.thunstrom_at_bassetlabs.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:07:13 +0100

Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm attaching a new makefile for Visual C++. I wrote it from scratch;
> it's smaller, cleaner and more flexible.
> If someone could try it out and give me some feedback that would be great.
>
> Usage:
> nmake /f makefile.vc
> [BUILD_CFG=[[dynamic|static]-[debug|release]]]
> [RTLIB_CFG=[[[dynamic|static]-[debug|release]]|buildcfg]]
> [OPENSSL_CFG=[[[dynamic|static]-[debug|release]]|buildcfg]]
> [ZLIB_CFG=[[[dynamic|static]-[debug|release]]|buildcfg]]
>
> Regards
> Piotr Dobrogost

Hi!

Not to be a party pooper here, and excuse me for borrowing this thread a
bit, but I've been wondering for quite some time why there's no build
targets incorporating LibSSH2 for SFTP functionality in the makefile for
VC? I know there are in the ming32 makefile, and I can't see why the
same parameters wouldn't work also for VC, of course adjusted to the
correct syntax.

I've understood from this mailing list that there's been a few changes
to the VC makefile since the last release, fixing issues that would be
related to this (making sure that the ssh.obj file is included in the
makefile), but I've not heard any mentioning of actually adding LibSSH2
targets to it.

As mentioned, I know the original VC build script did not contain this
kind of target either, so it's not any criticism of your proposal. I
certainly like the more clear specification of how each of the
constituent libraries will be linked in that this gives.

I just wanted to get the question up in the air, since I don't see
myself why these targets does not exist in the VC makefiles. I'll gladly
help to add them, as long as I know the way forward for the VC makefiles
(as per the previous discussions the last weeks) and that I'm not doing
it in vain for some reason...

Best regards
Patrik Thunström