Re: new makefile for Visual C++

From: Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:11:35 +0100

Yang Tse wrote:

> I'll help you on this effort on
> my best to make the resulting makefile as widely useful as possible.

Nice, thanks.
Although I wrote it and I'm sure I managed to improve many aspects I'm
not very familiar with makefile stuff...

Here comes my question;
Does someone know how to iterate over strings contained in a variable?
Because I couldn't find info how to do this I used separate variables like
OPENSSL_LIBS_1 = libeay32
OPENSSL_LIBS_2 = ssleay32
instead of
OPENSSL_LIBS = libeay32 ssleay32

It's ugly as hell and I'd like to make it right as soon as I know how to
do this.

> First step.
>
> A file named Makefile.msvc.head has been committed to a temporary area
How do we proceed with it? Do you want us to send diffs to this group?

> Second step
>
> It is important if you or others could provide further MSVC
> version info, besides what I've already included now, to better detect
> other MSVC versions.

Is guessing vc version from the nmake version a good idea?
Shouldn't we rather run compiler to find out what the version really is?

From my system:
vc9 SP1 - nmake 9.00.30729.01, cl 15.00.30729.01

Regards
Piotr