Re: new makefile for Visual C++

From: Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 19:59:28 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
>
> You need appropriate named OpenSSL libs
>
>> ... as in differently named than before or as in exactly like before?
>> What's the reason for this remark?

The problem is not only libcurl's makefile has problems :)
OpenSSL's makefile defines output files as libeay32 ssleay32 no matter
what build config you choose. Actually, it doesn't even allow to choose
build config unless you change cflags in it manually...

Anyway, there are four main types of a library under windows
dynamic-release, dynamic-debug, static-release and static-debug.
It's handful to have all four types available in one folder when you
frequently build different versions of other libs using it.

Appropriate naming convention allows to keep all versions in one folder
and to switch between them as needed. This naming convention comes from
vc compiler's switches' names of four versions of run-time library -
MD - dynamic, release
MDd - dynamic, debug
MT - static, release
MTd - static, debug

You could get by with standard names (libeay32.lib instead of
libeay32MD.lib or libeay32MTd.lib) but then you have to change libcurl's
makefile...

I actually wrote new libcur's vc makefile after I had written new
curlpp's vc makefile which uses this naming convention. This way
building many versions of curlpp is much easier.
Now I should move down the path and start writing OpenSSL's vc
makefile... And all this just to make building original project simple
and easy. Never ending makefile story :)

Regards
Piotr