enable/disable options for new makefile for MSVC

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 03:06:35 +0100

2009/3/16, Yang Tse wrote:

> 2009/3/14, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:
>
> > Are you sure we need both enable and disable variants for options in the
> > makefile? I think having both is
> > - redundant
> > - misleading
> > - error prone (mutually exclusive options possible)
>
> The reason for having both the enable and disable variants for some
> options is to better match the options that the configure script on
> configure-capable systems can handle. Doing this might increase the
> chance that someone which is used to autoconf's configure scripts will
> be capable of properly answering which options are required for a MSVC
> specific build configuration.

I would like to here other opinions beside Piotr's and my initial
comment on this matter before taking any definitive route on this and
moving forward.

The question basically is if the MSVC makefile should be capable of
properly parsing ENABLE_OPTION and DISABLE_OPTION or if on the other
hand only one of these should be allowed to be given, specifically the
not default option.

I'm basically interested in answers which focus on the makefile
user-side point of view.

For example the strict compiler warnings option default setting will
be to compile source with strict warnings disabled. The makefile could
be made capable of parsing only option ENABLE_WARNINGS, or on the
other hand also capable of parsing both ENABLE_WARNINGS and
DISABLE_WARNINGS. In either case valid option values would be one of
'YES', 'yes', '1', 'NO', 'no' and '0'.

So one could use any of the following to build with strict warnings enabled:

nmake -f Makefile.msvc
nmake -f Makefile.msvc ENABLE_WARNINGS=YES
nmake -f Makefile.msvc ENABLE_WARNINGS=yes
nmake -f Makefile.msvc ENABLE_WARNINGS=1
nmake -f Makefile.msvc DISABLE_WARNINGS=NO
nmake -f Makefile.msvc DISABLE_WARNINGS=no
nmake -f Makefile.msvc DISABLE_WARNINGS=0

Or with any of the following to build with strict warnings disabled:

nmake -f Makefile.msvc DISABLE_WARNINGS=YES
nmake -f Makefile.msvc DISABLE_WARNINGS=yes
nmake -f Makefile.msvc DISABLE_WARNINGS=1
nmake -f Makefile.msvc ENABLE_WARNINGS=NO
nmake -f Makefile.msvc ENABLE_WARNINGS=no
nmake -f Makefile.msvc ENABLE_WARNINGS=0

So, what's your opinion? Should the makefile be capable of handling
ENABLE_OPTION and DISABLE_OPTION, or just the contrary to the default
setting?

--
-=[Yang]=-