Re: SVN or git (was Re: Build using CMake)

From: Daniel Johnson <daniel.johnson31_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:16:37 -0400

On Mar 21, 2009, at 4:51 PM, Sukender wrote:

> Well, I was talking about SVN because it's simply a "better CVS"; of
> course there are many other versionning systems.
>
> CDash allows you to store and display build results on a server.
> It's well integrated with CMake/CTest. See for example the report
> for OSG on the CDash public server: http://www.cdash.org/CDashPublic/index.php?project=OpenSceneGraph

Did you know that curl already has an autobuild system? The build
results are at http://curl.haxx.se/auto and people can run their
builds with the curl/tests/testcurl.pl script. I have a cron job set
up to run a build of cvs HEAD every day which gets mailed to the
server. It's really easy.

It seems that it would be a lot of work to migrate to a new VCS and
build system for no real benefit. Arguments about which VCS or build
system is best can provoke religious wars as bad as Mac/PC and vi/
emacs. :) For instance, I'm quite comfortable with GNU autotools, but
some bad experiences have caused me to hate CMake with a burning
passion comparable to a supernova. But that's just me. :)

Daniel