Re: Build using CMake

From: Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:38:53 +0200

Yang Tse wrote:

> For example, at some point in this thread it has been suggested that
> cmake should replace all already existing build systems for curl and

I think no one said that CMake _should_ replace all other build systems.
For now it's interesting question if it _could_ _support_ all platforms
in the future, however.

> libcurl, when the only cmake contribution so far seems to not be able
> to complete the task even for a single platform.

We can't judge this contribution, yet. It's just a start.
Please take a note that existing nmake makefile can't do many things,
either, although it already exists in the project from some time...

> We the not-yet-cmake-believers, or at least me, might be short-seeing
> but wouldn't mind to be shown the powers of the new-religion, oops
> build-system, so good as to justify proposing elimination of other
> build systems on this project.

The process should be natural. As long as someone works on some build
scripts lets include his work in the project. The most used systems will
naturally be better supported than the rest.

> On the other hand my motivation to improve MSVC makefiles right now is
> close to zero.

Oh no! :)
Let's work on this makefile together and finish it.
Maybe someone else would help us, too?

> Who wants to work for nothing on something that is going to be discarded?

It's not going to be discarded. It can live its live peacefully :)

--
Piotr Dobrogost
*** curlpp.org - c++ wrapper for libcurl ***