Re: Build using CMake

From: tetetest tetetest <tetetest_at_rambler.ru>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 01:35:10 +0400

* Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org> [Sun, 29 Mar 2009 19:09:52 +0200]:
> Pierre Joye wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > FYI, cmake supports MingW build tools suite.
>
> Ok. We don't want to use both CMake and MinGW, however. We would like
> use only one of them or to be more precise either CMake or minGW+auto*
> tools. At least that's my impression. Does someone disagree?

Yes.

Autotools on windows is a chimera. You cannot simply emulate the Unix
shell
on Windows - there are hundreds of subtle differences between the
systems
which can be handled differently.
As a result, many autoconf scripts out there have separate build target
named
'cygwin' or 'mingw' - just to cope with the differences.

If you ask me, windows ports of autotools have always been crippled some
way
or other. Although Cygwin has gone very far to guarantee that their
environment
perfectly resembles Unix, running './configure' in Cygwin is still like
playing
Russian roulette.

Now, CMake is completely different: it does not emulate an environment
completely foreign to Windows; it just does the checks and generates
the build system for native tools. To my mind, no emulation of foreign
environment means more adequate results.

--
tetetest tetetest.