Forums vs email (was Re: Build using CMake)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:37:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Piotr Dobrogost wrote:

>> If you'd used such "current technology" instead of the better suited
>> mailing list, you wouldn't have reached the libcurl developers (as we're on
>> this list and not in any "forum") and thus the entire discussion would've
>> been pointless...
>
> That's not so simple. We are on this list not because it's a mailing list
> but because this list is about curl.

Yes. And as a matter of fact I've asked the core curl hackers in the past if
they/we wanted a forum for curl matters and the result was very clearly: no.
Thus we use the preferred method already.

> Time is our friend here; there are forums with both web and email access
> (google groups) so we can have cake and eat it too.

Not exactly. First, forum advocates say forums are superior for a certain
amount of reasons and they tend to include the ability to edit posts and to
lock threads etc. If you just have a web interface to a mailing list you don't
really have a forum with those abilities, you just have a web interface to a
mailing list.

And if you just want a web interface to the mailing list, I'd suggest you sign
up to this list using gmail or similar... Or even more options: use one of the
news gateways (like gmane.org) and read/post to the lists as newsgroups!