Re: Build using CMake

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:32:20 +0200

Hi Guen ;-)

> Yang: I think you should proceed with your nmake tweaks

I respectfully listen your opinion, and in a friendly manner I tell
you that, for now, I won't follow it.

Contrary to what someone has said, Win32 lib/curl already can be built
out of the box in many ways and with a good bunch of tool chains. And
it is up to each one to chose the one that better suits his needs or
environment.

Something that is more frequently seen among people wanting to build
lib/curl with MSVC or for Win32 than those using other compilers or
platforms, is a lack of knowledge of the tools they are using.

I have no problem with that. Everybody comes to life knowing nothing,
no one knows everything, and many of us forget things.

What I really doubt is that any tool chain or build system will be
capable of fully replacing the most elemental required skills, no
matter if it is just a point and shoot, oops 'click', build system.

And what is worse, the more layers you put between a rooky and his
compiler, the more knowledge he will need to sort out even the most
trivial problem.

My full respect to those who try to learn. And much much more to those
who give back, in no specific order, advice, code, patches, bug
reports, tests, run auto-builds, provide binaries, provide new
build-system capabilities, docs, etc, etc.

Oops this is going way off-topic.

As I have said, I'm not yet a cmake believer, nor openly detractor.
I'll await the outcome of the cmake _doers_ before touching anything
in any build system. That should give the opportunity of catching up.

Do you know if CMake has a built-in Bourne shell interpreter?

> [...] working nmake makefiles which can be imported and converted to
> project files by the IDE; then we document this and that's it.

Which IDE? MSVC's? From which VS version?

--
-=[Yang]=-