Re: Potential ABI break for libcurl Sun Compiler users

From: Stefan Teleman <stefan.teleman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 22:25:46 -0400

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 20:04, Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/4/2, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>
>> Your patch breaks ABI with earlier versions of CURL.
>
> Yes. It breaks ABI for the very specific case which is mentioned in
> the commit message, the RELEASE-NOTES document for next release and
> the message I've posted to this list warning of such fact.
>
> And it breaks it in the mentioned case relative to libcurl 7.19.4 and
> 7.19.3 for the simple reason that the patch you previously provided,
> included for 7.19.3, did not adhere to the requirements which are
> enforced and used by libcurl since version 7.19.0 _AND_ none of us had
> noticed this previously.

The requirements enforced and used by libcurl since 7.19.0 consist of
breaking ABI with earlier releases ? Interesting.

> For additional potential ABI break done in libcurl 7.19.0 relative to
> previous versions you can find more details in lib/README.curl_off_t
> included with all 7.19.X releases as well as in the 7.19.0 release
> notes. It seems that you missed or didn't notice its existence.

So how often do you guys break ABI ? Inquiring minds want to know.

It sounds like you don't care at all that 7.19.x breaks ABI with
earlier releases.

Your patch is still fundamentally wrong, but I'm not going to waste
any more time on this.

We'll just continue patching CURL internally, so that we can maintain
ABI with earlier CURL releases.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman